2020 Corporate Responsibility Report
Sanderson Farms, Inc. has released its 2020 Corporate Responsibility Report detailing the company’s commitment to social and environmental responsibility. In this report, the company was able to estimate the percentage of feed grains sourced from regions under high or extremely high water stress during fiscal year 2020, which is a metric under the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board’s reporting standards that the company was unable to estimate in prior years. Additionally, this report includes the Human Rights Statement adopted by the company’s Board of Directors in October 2020, and incorporates the most recently filed consolidated EEO-1 report.
“For generations, Sanderson Farms has been dedicated to providing quality products to the company’s customers and the consumers who buy our products,” said Joe F. Sanderson Jr., chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Sanderson Farms, “and those products are produced in a manner consistent with the company’s environmental and social responsibilities. Transparency and total integrity are at the core of everything we do. With this report, we’re equipping our investors, business partners, customers, and other constituents with decision-critical information about the company’s commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of its employees and contract poultry producers, the environmental impact of our business, our animal welfare standards, our workplace health and safety standards, and the safety of our food products.”
The comprehensive report details the company’s achievements in managing environmental, social, and governance risks while building long-term value for shareholders. Highlights include:
- In fiscal year 2020, Sanderson Farms processed 657 million chickens, sold 4.8 billion pounds of dressed poultry, and generated $3.6 billion in revenue.
- Approximately 81% of employees are racial and ethnic minorities, including 41% of the management team, and 48% of employees are women, including 22% of the management team.
- In fiscal year 2020, Sanderson Farms reduced OSHA injury rates by 4% compared to the previous FY.
- Since 2011, Sanderson Farms has donated $13.5 million and 4.6 million pounds of poultry products to charitable and community organizations local to company operations.
- Since 1999, Sanderson Farms and its employees have donated over $10.7 million to local United Way organizations in the communities where they operate.
- Since 2008, Sanderson Farms has seen a 20% reduction in electricity usage intensity, a 38% reduction in natural gas usage intensity, and a 44% reduction in water usage intensity.
- The amount of water conserved by Sanderson Farms in 2020, as compared to baseline values in 2008, would supply enough water to operate 10 of our 12 poultry processing facilities for one year.
“Our strong record of sustainability is another way we care for the community and the world around us,” said Sanderson. “By helping to ensure a sustainable future for society, we are investing in strong, healthy, and thriving communities while positioning the company to have a long-term role in meeting society’s needs.”