Sanderson Farms, Inc. Recognized for Making a Difference in Employees’ Health and Well-being
Company Honored with Mississippi’s Healthiest Workplace Award for 2016
LAUREL, Miss. (July 27, 2016) – Amidst a state that is often last when it comes to the health and wellness of its residents, one Mississippi company particularly stands out as making a difference. Sanderson Farms, Inc. has recently been named one of Mississippi’s Healthiest Workplaces for 2016, receiving second place in the mega-large private sector business category. The company was recognized as a standout among standouts at a luncheon held today for award recipients at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson, Miss.
“Here at Sanderson Farms, we are proud to play a big role in supporting the health and well-being of our employees and staff,” said Joe F. Sanderson, Jr., CEO and chairman of the board for Sanderson Farms. “When it comes to our employees and the communities in which they work, we truly care about making a difference, and we’ll continue to demonstrate that through our strong workplace wellness program.”
The company was selected by a collaboration including the Mississippi Business Journal, the Mississippi Business Group on Health and the Mississippi Department of Health, among others, based on its commitment to the health and well-being of its employees through exemplary worksite wellness programs. Sanderson Farms offers wellness screenings, wellness class seminars, a tobacco cessation program, a weight loss management program, walk-to-run programs and annual 5K “Chicken Runs” at each location.
“A healthy workplace is good for employees, for their families, for business, and for the entire community,” said Brian Romano, Director of Administration and Human Resources. “Sanderson Farms works hard to encourage a culture of wellness, and we believe that resonates through every aspect of our organization, from the bottom to the top.”
Sanderson Farms offers various programs and classes at no cost to the employee to help increase the health and well-being of its staff, including:
- Yearly wellness screenings at all Sanderson Farms locations, in which employees can receive BMI, blood pressure, blood glucose, and cholesterol testing.
- Health fairs, where employees can receive valuable information about local services that they might not otherwise know about.
- Wellness Classes for anyone who desires to learn more about their health.
- A “Tobacco Cessation Program,” in which employees can enroll at any time at no cost and are eligible for an insurance discount upon successful completion of the program.
- A “Weight Loss Management Program,” which includes surgical and supervised weight loss methods.
- A “Gym Reimbursement Program,” which partners with gyms around the country and allows employees to be reimbursed up to $15 per month.
- A “Walk-to-Run Program,” in which the company partners with Blue Cross Blue Shield to offer participants 12-weeks of training to prepare them to walk or run a 5K.
- A 5K run at each location every year following the Walk-to-Run Program, which include prizes and incentives for participating.
About Sanderson Farms
Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM), based in Laurel, Miss., is one of the nation’s leading food corporations. Incorporated in 1955, with the initial public offering presented in 1987, Sanderson Farms, Inc. is a fully integrated poultry processing company engaged in the production, processing, marketing and distribution of fresh and frozen chicken and other prepared food items.