- 1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken
- 1 (1 lb.) bag carrots, peeled and sliced into 2" slices
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 red onion, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 stalk celery, sliced into 2" slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut lengthwise into wedges
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Reserve half of a carrot to stuff the chicken. Blanch the remainder by cooking in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Mix 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, paprika and dried thyme in a small container.
- Place the carrot half, ¼ of the onion wedges, celery, bay leaves and ¼ of the seasoning mixture inside the chicken cavity. Tie the end of the drumsticks together with cotton twine.
- Rub chicken with butter.
- Rub chicken with the seasoning mix. Tuck the wings.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan. Season the blanched carrots, the remaining onion wedges and the potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Arrange vegetables around the chicken.
- Roast in preheated 375°F oven 1½ hours or until chicken is to an internal temperature of 190°F. Baste chicken and vegetables with accumulated pan juices throughout the cooking cycle.
- Garnish with fresh thyme.
- 1 (5-pound) Sanderson Farms® Whole Chicken Fryer
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6 lemon slices. thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 rib of celery, cut into thirds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (24-inch) piece of kitchen twine
- Vegetable spray
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top. Coat the rack with vegetable spray.
- Remove giblets from chicken. Season the cavity of the chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Place lemon slices underneath the skin of the breast. Stuff with onion quarters, celery and garlic.
- Truss or tie the chicken drumsticks with kitchen twine. This is done by wrapping the twine over the end of the drumsticks, bringing it up, crossing and then pulling the ends of the drumsticks together with the twine and tying the twine into a knot. Tuck the chicken wings.
- Place chicken in the pan, breast side up. Place on the middle rack in the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from oven and baste with half of the olive oil and lemon juice mixture. Lower oven temperature to 350°F. Place chicken back in oven and roast for 1 hour. Half-way through cooking, baste the chicken with the remainder of the marinade. The chicken is done when the temperature of the chicken reaches 170°F at the breast and 180°F at the thigh or until the juices run clear.
- Pour the pan drippings into a measuring cup or fat separator, pour fat off. Place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Carve chicken and ladle pan juices over the chicken.
- 1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken, giblets and other parts removed
- 4½ quarts water
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken, water, garlic, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, whole black peppercorns and large pieces of carrots, onions and celery in a 6-quart stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming surface foam occasionally.
- Remove chicken from broth. Set aside.
- Line a fine sieve with dampened cheesecloth. Strain broth through lined sieve. Remove any excess fat from top of broth with spoon. Set broth aside.
- Pull chicken meat from bones into bite size pieces. Discard skin and bones. Set chicken pieces aside.
- In a clean stockpot, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add diced celery and diced carrots. Cook 10 minutes.
- Boil lasagna noodles for 8 minutes or until all dente.
- Strain noodles and using a cookie cutter shape of your choice, cut out noodles. Set noodles aside.
- Add reserved chicken broth and 2 teaspoons salt and ground pepper, or more to taste to your stock pot. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken and parsley and noodles. Cook 5 minutes.