Whole Roasted Chicken Pozole Verde
So, this technically isn’t a whole roasted chicken dish – it’s a lot more! Pozole Verde is a celebratory dish, as it can take hours to prepare, and results in a dish that is deep in flavor and rich in tradition.
2 liters chicken stock or broth
8 each tomatillos
2 each jalapeños
2 each poblanos
1 each sweet onion, medium
8 each garlic cloves
3 each bay leaves
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chilli powder
1 bunch cilantro
2 bunches scallions
1 bunch oregano
45 oz hominy
½ cup lime juice
roasted chicken pozole verde broth
red radishes, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Remove chicken from refrigerator 1 hour prior to roasting. Salt and pepper liberally and truss.
3. Roast chicken at 425F for 75–90 minutes. Check temperature at 75 minutes. The chicken is done roasting when it is > 165F internal temperature in the breast meat and > 175F in the leg meat.
4. Allow the chicken to rest for 15–20 minutes and then shred it once it can be handled. Make sure to shred it in large chunks.
5. Add all shredded chicken to the pozole verde broth. Bring back to a simmer over medium heat and season with salt, pepper and a little additional lime juice to taste.
6. Serve in large bowls with any (or all) of the garnishes listed!
FOR POZOLE VERDE BROTH
1. In a large sauté pan, char the peppers, onion, garlic, and tomatillos with a little oil or cooking spray. For the best flavor, char the vegetables well until they appear browned and deeply roasted. Reserve the peppers in a covered bowl and allow to steam. After 10–15 minutes, peel off the char and reserve the peppers until ready to make the Pozole.
2. Combine the charred tomatillos, onions, garlic, peppers, scallions, oregano, cilantro, cinnamon, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and lime juice in a blender. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and puree. Reserve.
3. Bring the remaining stock to a simmer and add the hominy, bay leaves and charred vegetable puree. Season to taste and allow to simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes and until the roast chicken is cooked, cooled and shredded.