Handheld Chicken Pies
With a serving size of 12, this dish could be a party appetizer or a weeknight meal with the family. This savory pocket of tender chicken, potatoes, and spices will have everyone coming back for seconds...maybe even thirds.
2 Sanderson Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs , diced into ½-inch pieces
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons ¼” diced shallots
¼ cup ¼” diced red bell pepper
⅓ cup tomato sauce
1½ teaspoons whole oregano
½ cup diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/4 cup green peas, thawed
1 box (14.1-ounce) Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust, thawed according to package directions
Flour for sealing the pie crust
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken to skillet. Season with salt, cumin and garlic powder. Cook chicken for 5 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
4. Add shallots, red bell pepper, tomato sauce, oregano and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, remove from heat and place in a mixing bowl. When cool, add peas and mix.
5. Unroll pie crusts and place on a flat surface. Flatten slightly with a rolling pin and cut into 4-inch rounds. Mold pie crust trimmings into a disk and roll it with a rolling pin to flatten it to re-use the trimmings to get 12 4-inch rounds.
6. Fill the center of each pie crust round with about 2 tablespoons of chicken filling. Fold the top half of the crust round over the filling and gently press the edges together with your fingers dipped in flour to seal. Repeat with the remaining pie crust rounds.
7. Place pies on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Whisk the egg and 1 Tablespoon water in a small container for an egg wash.
9. Brush the pie tops with the egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
10. TIP: Want to have a little fun with your Handheld Pies? Personalize them by carving your initials into the dough!