Create a succulent chicken dish that feeds an entire family.
1 (6½ to 8 lb.) Sanderson Farms® Roasting Chicken
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 onion, quartered
3 ribs of celery, halved
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix salt, black pepper, allspice and cinnamon in a small bowl.
3. Remove giblets from chicken.
4. Rub seasoning mix on the chicken and inside the cavity. Tuck the wings.
5. Place two quarters of the onion and two pieces of celery inside the cavity and tie the ends of the drumsticks together with cotton twine.
6. Place chicken in a roasting pan and add ½" water to the pan. Arrange the rest of the onion and celery around the chicken.
7. Roast in preheated 400°F oven 2 hours, basting the chicken every 20 minutes with accumulated pan juices.
8. The roaster is ready when the timer “pops up” or by easy movement in the leg joint and clear color in the juices.