Whole Fried Chicken with Cajun Chili Butter
Who doesn’t like hanging out on the driveway waiting for the fryer rig to come to temp? The whole idea behind this recipe is to provide an option for smaller gatherings when frying a 10-pound turkey is overkill.
salt and pepper to taste
lemon peel, finely zested
Italian parsley, chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
½ tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper, cracked
2 sticks salted butter
¼ cup fryer oil (reserved after frying chicken)
1. Preheat a deep fryer to 325F.
2. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
3. Fry the chicken for 35 minutes or until >165F for breast meat and >175F for leg meat.
4. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes and then carve.
5. Dress the carved chicken with chili butter, lemon zest and finely chopped Italian parsley.
FOR CHILI BUTTER
1. Combine all ingredients except the fryer oil in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until melted and well combined. Keep warm until the chicken is fried, then add the fryer oil.