Cajun Spiced Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Corn
With chicken that is tender, full of flavor, and spiced just right, you can’t help but share with your loved ones.
1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken , giblets removed
4 quarts cold water
⅓ cup salt
⅓ cup sugar
¾ cup soy sauce
½ cup sliced onions
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons Tabasco® sauce
1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning
6 small russet potatoes, quartered
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
8 mini ears of corn on the cob
1 (24-inch) piece of kitchen twine
1. To prepare the brine, in a large food safe container, add water, salt, sugar and soy sauce. Mix well. Place the chicken in the brine, breast side down. Marinate in refrigerator for at least six hours or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 375°F.
3. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Discard brine.
4. Place onion slices and garlic into the cavity. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together with kitchen twine. Do this by wrapping the twine over the ends of the drumsticks, bringing it up, crossing and then pulling the ends of the drumsticks together with the twine and tying into a knot. Tuck the wings.
5. In a small bowl, mix butter and Tabasco® together.
6. Place the chicken, breast side down, brush with half of the Tabasco® butter mixture and season with half of the Creole seasoning. Place potatoes in roasting pan with the skin side up. Pour the chicken broth into the roasting pan.
7. Place the chicken, breast side up, on top of the potatoes. Brush the chicken with the remaining Tabasco butter mixture and season with Creole seasoning. Place in oven and roast for 1 hour 45 minutes, basting every 30 minutes with the accumulated pan juices. Place frozen corn in the roasting pan and roast an additional 20 to 30 minutes. The chicken is cooked when the temperature reaches 170°F at the breast and 180°F at the thigh or until the juices run clear.
8. Slice chicken and serve with potatoes and corn.
9. TIP: For maximum presentation points, transfer the final dish to an iron skillet!