Chicken, Spinach and Tomato Strata
A layered breakfast dish that can be made a day ahead, refrigerated overnight and baked just before serving. A very popular brunch dish!
3 quarts cold water
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
8 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup diced onion, ½" thick
1½ cups of grape tomatoes, cut in half
5 cups fresh spinach leaves
5 cups diced French or Italian bread, ¾" thick
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1. Place chicken, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a 5-quart stockpot.
2. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Tilt lid to partially cover. Cook 40 minutes.
3. Pull meat from the bones, discarding skin, and shred into bite-sized pieces.
4. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
5. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and spinach to skillet. Stirring, cook for 1 minute. Turn heat off.
7. Add shredded chicken to vegetables and mix well.
8. In a greased 3-quart (9x13) baking dish, layer half of the bread, half of the chicken/vegetable mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
9. Pour egg mixture evenly on top of cheese. Let dish rest for 15 minutes.
10. Bake in a 350°F oven for 40 minutes, or until firm.
11. Slice into squares and serve.