Chicken Tortilla Soup
Want a savory Tex-Mex soup? Chili powder, onions, celery, garlic and red bell peppers heightens the flavor of this Chicken Tortilla Soup. Make extra and freeze some for a cold, rainy day.
2 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, diced into ½" pieces
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/3 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
3¾ cups water
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup canned tomatoes diced in sauce
1/4 cup diced green chilies
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup frozen yellow whole kernel corn
fried flour tortilla strips (optional)
avocado slices (optional)
1. Heat oil in 8-quart stockpot.
2. Add diced raw chicken, chili powder, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, green and red bell peppers. Cook over medium high heat 5 minutes.
3. Mix small amount of water with corn starch in a small bowl.
4. To stockpot, add water, corn starch mixture, salt, ground black pepper, tomatoes, green chilies and red pepper. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
5. Add corn. Simmer 5 more minutes.
6. Serve in bowls with tortilla strips and avocado slices.