Gochujang Honey Roasted Chicken
This recipe is a combination of savory, sweet, and a little heat. Gochujang is a fermented Korean chili paste that brings elements of umami, and when blended with honey, creates hot honey with a whole new dimension of savory umami that is unforgettable.
3 each eggs
2 cups brioche, cubed
½ cup sweet yellow onion, diced
1 cup sweet potato, diced and blanched
1 tbsp garlic minced
⅛ cup jalapeno or shishito pepper
¼ cup basil, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
16 oz honey
1 tsp lime juice or rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
gochujang roasted chicken
sweet potato stuffing
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Remove chicken from refrigerator 1 hour prior to roasting. Salt and pepper liberally, stuff with sweet potato stuffing, truss the stuffed chicken and liberally rub the chicken down with Gochujang honey.
3. Roast chicken at 300F for 90 minutes, basting every 30-45 minutes.
4. Increase heat to 350F and continue basting chicken every 45 minutes. Apply additional gochujang honey as needed to create a thick, sticky glaze.
5. After 1 hour at 350F, check the chicken's internal temperature using a calibrated thermometer. Take care to ensure that the stuffing is > 165F, in addition to making sure the breast is > 165F and the leg meat is > 175F.
6. Allow fully cooked chicken to rest 10-15 minutes. Remove the stuffing from the chicken then carve the chicken. Serve the carved chicken with the stuffing and the rest of the reserved gochujang honey.
FOR SWEET POTATO STUFFING
1. Sweat mushrooms and onions in a medium sauté pan over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Season to taste and reserve.
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine, then season and reserve.
3. When ready to roast the chicken, place stuffing in chicken's cavity and truss bird so that the legs close and hold in the stuffing during the cooking process.
FOR GOCHUJANG HONEY
4. Heat honey so that it runs easily prior to adding it into blender.
5. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until combined. Reserve until ready to roast.