Sweet Tea Brined Chicken
For this recipe, we’re going to learn how to brine a chicken. Simply create a bed and roast the chicken over top. If you're looking for a beverage pairing for this dish, well, look up. Cheers!
4 liters water
110 grams kosher salt
55 grams granulated sugar
3 tea bags english breakfast tea
6 each bay leaves
1 each lemon, sliced
3 each sprigs, rosemary, large
2 tbsp black pepper, coarsely cracked
¼ cup yellow curry powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Remove chicken from brine and allow it to rest at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Pat dry, salt, and pepper the cavity, stuff with reserved lemons and rosemary from the brine, and truss to close up the cavity.
3. Apply the curry rub to the chicken prior to roasting.
4. Roast chicken at 300F for 60 minutes.
5. Increase temperature to 400F and roast an additional 30 minutes or until the chicken's internal temperature registers >165F in the breast meat and >175F in the leg meat.
6. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, carve the chicken and serve immediately.
FOR SWEET TEA BRINE
1. Dissolve salt into water completely, and then dissolve sugar into the water.
2. Add the English breakfast tea bags, bay leaves, lemons, rosemary, and black pepper to the brine, and stir to combine.
3. Submerge chicken in the brine, and allow it to marinate refrigerated for between a minimum of 12 hours and a maximum of 24 hours.
FOR CURRY RUB
4. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to evenly incorporate.
5. Transfer to a sealed container and reserve until roasting.