Explore Asia through your taste buds with our Asian-inspired Yakitori Chicken. Part of our “Global Cuisine” series with The Grill Dads, this recipe is crispy, crunchy and delicious!
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup mirin or rice wine vinegar
¼ cup sake
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 small bunch scallions
2 tablespoons sesame oil, to drizzle
1. Combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake, and light brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat. Cook for about 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced by half. Remove the sauce from the heat and reserve half the sauce for serving.
2. Thread the chicken and scallions onto the skewers. Working with one skewer at a time, add a piece of chicken, then a scallion onto the skewer, repeating until the skewer is full.
3. Heat a gas or charcoal grill for direct high heat grilling.
4. Grill the skewers directly on the grill. Grill each side for three to four minutes until charred. Turn the chicken and brush with the sauce, cooking for two to three minutes more. Repeat flipping and brushing until the chicken is cooked, the sauce glossy, and the scallions charred. This should take about 10-12 minutes total.
5. Serve the skewers hot with the reserved sauce for dipping. Add a drizzle of sesame oil to finish.