Brown Butter Roasted Chicken
A delicious herb-infused flavor, crispy skin, and a large serving size makes this dish perfect for any holiday dinner... or for every dinner!
1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken , giblets and other parts removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon (plus 2 sprigs)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup sliced onions
5 celery stalks, divided
1 (24-inch) piece of kitchen twine
Chicken Gravy Ingredients
1/4 cup reserved chicken fat
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In an 8-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter until it begins to bubble. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Butter will smell “toasted.” Remove from skillet, pour into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, tarragon, oregano and thyme. Set aside.
4. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper including the inside of the cavity.
5. Place the tarragon sprigs, garlic, onions and one celery stalk inside the cavity. Tie the chicken drumsticks with kitchen twine. This is done by wrapping the twine over the ends of the drumsticks, bringing it up, crossing and then pulling the ends of the drumsticks together with the twine and tying the twine into a knot. Tuck the wings.
6. Place the chicken breast side down, brush the chicken with brown butter and then the herb and oil mixture.
7. Place 4 celery stalks in the roasting pan. Place the chicken on top of the celery, breast side up. Brush the chicken with the remaining brown butter and oil mixture.
8. Place chicken in oven and roast for 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170°F in the breast and 180°F at the thigh or until the juices run clear.
9. Reserve 1/4 cup of chicken fat from the pan for the gravy.
10. TIP: Learn how to tie the legs of a chicken with these simple steps.
Chicken Gravy Directions
1. In an 8-inch skillet, add the reserved fat and flour. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
2. Slowly stir in the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn heat off.
3. Add salt and pepper.
4. Slice chicken and serve with the gravy.