Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
A classic holiday recipe, good any time of the year. Stuff chicken with fresh carrots, celery, onions and thyme for a hearty meal the whole family will love. And, for a festive presentation, serve with dirty rice on a platter.
1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken
1 (1 lb.) bag carrots, peeled and sliced into 2" slices, divided
1½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 red onion, sliced in wedges, divided
½ stalk celery, sliced into 2" slices
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
5 medium red potatoes, cut lengthwise into wedges
fresh thyme for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Reserve half of a carrot to stuff the chicken. Blanch the remainder by cooking in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain well.
3. Mix 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, paprika and dried thyme in a small container.
4. Place the carrot half, ¼ of the onion wedges, celery, bay leaves and ¼ of the seasoning mixture inside the chicken cavity. Tie the end of the drumsticks together with cotton twine.
5. Rub chicken with butter.
6. Rub chicken with the seasoning mix. Tuck the wings.
7. Place chicken in a roasting pan. Season the blanched carrots, the remaining onion wedges and the potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Arrange vegetables around the chicken.
8. Roast in preheated 375°F oven 1½ hours or until chicken is to an internal temperature of 190°F. Baste chicken and vegetables with accumulated pan juices throughout the cooking cycle.
9. Garnish with fresh thyme.