Maple Glazed Roast Chicken Roulade
At first glance, this recipe looks a little daunting; however, with just a little preparation, it's simple to make and the results are something to celebrate.
1 ½ cups brioche, diced
½ cup baby bella mushrooms, diced
1 cup conecuh or other smoked sausage, minced
1 cup leg meat, reserved from bird and minced
½ cup yellow onion, diced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
2 each eggs
½ tbsp Salt
1 tsp black pepper, cracked
1 cup maple syrup
⅛ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
MAPLE GLAZED CHICKEN ROULADE WITH CONECUH SAUSAGE STUFFING
Conecuh sausage stuffing
salt and pepper to taste
1. Starting with a whole bird, remove the skin by separating it from the flesh and peeling it off of the legs and breast meat. Remove the breast meat and tenders from the body and reserve. Remove the leg quarters and debone for the stuffing.
2. Remove the tenders from each breast filet. These will become the center of your roulade.
3. Using a sharp boning knife, fillet the breasts so that they lie flat while keeping all meat intact. Pound each fillet with a meat mallet (a small sauté pan also does well in a pinch).
4. Season the surface with salt and pepper then spread the stuffing mixture all over the surface to completely cover. Top with the chicken tender.
5. Roll the fillet up and secure the roulades with toothpicks.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F.
7. Season the outer surface of the chicken roulades and brown all sides in a large ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high heat with a little canola or olive oil.
8. Transfer browned roulades to the oven in the sauté pan (if ovenproof – otherwise transfer to a baking sheet). Roast at 350F for 30 minutes.
9. After 30 minutes, increase the heat to 425F and glaze the roulades with the reserved maple glaze. Roast an additional 10–15 minutes or until the centers of the roulades are > 165F as measured by a calibrated thermometer.
10. Allow the roulades to rest 10-15 minutes prior to slicing. Remove the toothpicks, slice and serve immediately with additional maple glaze to accompany.
FOR CONECUH SAUSAGE STUFFING
1. Finely mince the sausage and leg meat. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Sweat onions and mushrooms in a sauté pan over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add them to the mixing bowl and season all with salt and pepper. Add brioche, rosemary, and sage to the mixture. Stir to combine.
3. Add eggs to stuffing mixture and gently fold in to evenly combine. Reserve refrigerated until ready to stuff the roulades.
FOR MAPLE GLAZE
4. Heat maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
5. Add soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine, bring to a simmer, and keep simmering for 5–10 minutes to reduce until syrupy in consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a sealed container until ready to glaze.