A favorite of French cooks, cassoulet is a rustic, slow-cooked dish made with cannellini beans, smoked sausage and chicken drumsticks. Prepare a day ahead and refrigerate leftovers for lunch.
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
½ pound sliced smoked sausage, ½" on the bias
½ cup diced yellow onion, ¼" thick
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup diced carrots, ¼" thick
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
¼ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 teaspoons tomato paste
1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 to 3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
Crusty bread slices
1. Season chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken 10 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
3. Add sausage to skillet. Brown 5 minutes, turning half way through cooking. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Set a 6-quart slow cooker on high. Add onion, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, chicken broth, tomato paste, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and sausage. Stir.
5. Add chicken. Cover and cook 3 hours.
6. Stir in beans and bread crumbs. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
7. Serve in bowls with crusty bread slices.