The combination of sweet and savory is what gets this chicken recipe sizzling. Serve over rice and dress up your dish with lemon slices and parsley. Substitute legs with chicken quarters or breasts. Something the whole family will love!
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups water
1 cup extra long grain rice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 lemon, cut into thick slices
1/2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a shallow dish.
2. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Discard any remaining flour mixture.
3. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet.
4. Cook chicken over medium heat 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
5. Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings.
6. Add onion and celery. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
7. Add the water, the uncooked rice, ginger, the ¼ teaspoon salt, allspice and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
8. Add chicken. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is to an internal temperature of 190°F.
9. Top with lemon slices for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
10. Sprinkle parsley over chicken mixture and serve.