Chicken and Dumplings
Fill your stomach and warm your soul with this simple dish. It's classic comfort food at its finest.
1 package Sanderson Farms® Whole Cut-Up Chicken
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 cups water
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
50 1½" x 1½" frozen dumplings
1. Remove giblets.
2. Place chicken pieces, onion, celery, salt, ground black pepper and water in an 8-quart stockpot.
3. Simmer over medium heat 1½ hours or until chicken is tender.
4. Remove chicken and cooking liquid from stockpot reserving 8 cups of the liquid.
5. Remove chicken from cooking liquid. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Pull chicken meat into bite sized pieces and set aside.
6. Melt the butter in the same stockpot.
7. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
8. Whisk in 8 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil.
9. Add dumplings a few at a time, stirring often. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 35 minutes.
10. Stir in chicken. Heat 5 minutes.