Rosemary Lemon Roasted Chicken
Turn ordinary chicken up a notch by bringing more flavor to the table. We mixed lemon and rosemary to our juicy chicken to create this succulent dish. A meal this good is perfect for any party or family gathering.
1 (5-pound) Sanderson Farms® Whole Chicken Fryer
1 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
6 lemon slices. thinly sliced
1 small onion, quartered
1 rib of celery, cut into thirds
1 clove of garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 (24-inch) piece of kitchen twine
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top. Coat the rack with vegetable spray.
3. Remove giblets from chicken. Season the cavity of the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place lemon slices underneath the skin of the breast. Stuff with onion quarters, celery and garlic.
4. Truss or tie the chicken drumsticks with kitchen twine. This is done by wrapping the twine over the end of the drumsticks, bringing it up, crossing and then pulling the ends of the drumsticks together with the twine and tying the twine into a knot. Tuck the chicken wings.
5. Place chicken in the pan, breast side up. Place on the middle rack in the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
7. Remove chicken from oven and baste with half of the olive oil and lemon juice mixture. Lower oven temperature to 350°F. Place chicken back in oven and roast for 1 hour. Half-way through cooking, baste the chicken with the remainder of the marinade. The chicken is done when the temperature of the chicken reaches 170°F at the breast and 180°F at the thigh or until the juices run clear.
8. Pour the pan drippings into a measuring cup or fat separator, pour fat off. Place in a bowl. Set aside.
9. Carve chicken and ladle pan juices over the chicken.
*TIP: Make your plate picture worthy by adding some pops of color! Garnish your dish with your favorite fruit or spice and garnish with a roasted lemon to wow your crowd.