Chicken and Rice Soup
Soup on the brain? Try this one-pot, classic chicken and rice soup recipe to keep you warm on cool, autumn days. Chicken, celery, carrots, parsley and white rice – what could be simpler?
TIP: Double the recipe and freeze some for when you need a hearty soup on a cold day.
8 cups cold water
1 cup finely diced celery
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup finely diced carrots
⅓ cup uncooked white rice
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Place chicken, water, celery, salt and black pepper in a 6-quart stockpot.
2. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Tilt lid to partially cover. Cook 25 minutes.
3. Add carrots. Cook 20 minutes.
4. Add rice. Cook 10 minutes.
5. Add parsley. Turn heat off. Stir.
6. Remove chicken. Discard skin and bones. Pull chicken meat into bite sized pieces and return chicken meat to stockpot.
7. Adjust seasonings, to taste.