Need maximum flavor with minimum effort? Try this Italian dish with braised chicken in a tomato-based sauce. Add onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and serve over cooked egg noodles – a delicious meal for the whole family in 40 minutes.
3 Sanderson Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, cut on the bias into ½" slices
5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup red cooking wine
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
crushed red pepper (optional)
cooked egg noodles (optional)
1. Place 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven and heat on medium high heat.
2. Season chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper.
3. Lightly coat chicken with flour discarding any excess.
4. Brown chicken in two batches, 1½ minutes per side. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil to Dutch oven between batches.
5. Remove chicken from Dutch oven and set aside.
6. In the same Dutch oven, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
7. Add the onion, celery, green bell peppers, carrots and garlic. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté 5 minutes.
8. Add mushrooms. Sauté 3 minutes. Add tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes.
9. Add red cooking wine. Deglaze 1 minute.
10. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and browned chicken. Simmer on low 7 minutes, uncovered.
11. Serve over cooked egg noodles.