Chicken Ditalini Soup
This soup checks all the boxes. It's high in protein, filled with vegetables and pairs great with a loaf of crusty bread. What more are you looking for?
6 Sanderson Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh Fillets , diced into ½-inch pieces
4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup diced onion, ¼”
1/3 cup diced celery, ¼”
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms, ¼”
1 cup sliced white mushrooms, ¼”
1½ cups sliced carrots, ¼”
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
1. To make the roux, add olive oil and flour to an 8-inch skillet. Stirring constantly heat over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. The roux should be light brown in color. Set aside.
2. Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
3. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, add chicken and cook for 6 minutes over medium-high heat.
4. Add onions and celery. Cook 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, roux, mushrooms, carrots, and Italian seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and tilt lid to vent. Cook 10 minutes.
6. Add pasta and cook uncovered over medium heat for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
8. TIP: Make eating soup fun for the little one. Switch out the bowl for a coffee mug!