Chicken Taco Salad
Need a quick meal or party starter? Kid and adult friendly, this simple yet zesty Chicken Taco Salad recipe can be whipped up in 30 minutes and is always a hit.
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
1 teaspoon whole oregano, divided
¼ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 cup chopped tomatoes
¾ cup canned yellow corn, drained
¾ cup canned black beans, drained
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
6 cups tortilla chips
4 cups finely chopped lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 avocado, sliced into 12 slices
4 Tablespoons sour cream
lime or lemon slices (optional)
1. Combine salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon oregano, onion powder and chili powder in a small container and season chicken.
2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken to skillet placing crushed garlic around it. Brown chicken on both sides for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
4. Remove chicken from skillet and dice into ½" dices.
5. In a medium bowl, mix tomatoes, corn, black beans, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon oregano and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
6. To assemble chicken taco salads, layer the following on four plates: 1½ cups tortilla chips; 1 cup lettuce; ½ cup vegetable and bean mixture; ¼ cup cheese; ¾ cup cooked, diced chicken thighs; 3 avocado slices; a 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
7. Serve with lime or lemon slices on the side to squeeze juice on salads.