Chicken with Fiesta Rice
Make it a Mexican dinner night with this easy-to-make recipe prepared right at home. Use ground cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper to spice up your chicken thighs. Then flavor your rice with roasted peppers, tomatoes, black beans, corn and cilantro – a festive meal for the whole family.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1½ teaspoons salt, divided
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1½ cups white rice
1½ cups low sodium chicken broth
½ cup chopped roasted red pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8.5-ounce) can yellow corn, drained
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine the cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Season chicken with seasoning mixture.
2. Heat oil in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Pour drippings out, reserving 1 Tablespoon. Wipe Dutch oven clean.
3. Heat the reserved Tablespoon of drippings on low. Add onion. Cook 4 minutes.
4. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute.
5. Add rice. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Add chicken broth, roasted peppers, tomatoes, black beans, corn, cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer. Place chicken on top of rice mixture. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and chicken is to an internal temperature of 190°F.