Cuban-Style Smashed Chicken Sandwiches
Craving a classic Cuban-style sandwich? Try this hearty combination of chicken, ham and pickles tucked into a fresh Ciabatta roll. Place sandwich in a skillet to toast to your liking and serve.
3 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, sliced in half horizontally to create six chicken breast fillets
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon whole oregano
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed, divided
6 thin slices smoked ham
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 Ciabatta rolls, sliced in half
6 Tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
6 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
6 slices Swiss cheese, sliced in half
24 pickle slices
1. Combine salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, onion powder and chili powder in a small container and season chicken.
2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken and crushed garlic to skillet and cook in two batches, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Add 2 Tablespoons oil to skillet between batches. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove chicken and garlic from skillet and set aside.
4. Add ham slices to skillet, in two batches, and heat up until lightly brown. Remove ham from skillet and set aside.
5. Brush the cut sides of Ciabatta bread slices with melted butter.
6. In another skillet, brown cut sides of Ciabatta bread slices in two batches.
7. Spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon mustard on cut sides of Ciabatta bread slices.
8. To assemble chicken sandwiches, layer the following on each bottom piece of bread: ½ slice Swiss cheese, 1 cooked chicken breast fillet, ½ slice Swiss cheese, 1 slice heated ham, 4 pickle slices, 1 Ciabatta bread top
9. Brush the outside of Ciabatta bread tops with melted butter. Place chicken sandwich top side down on heated skillet to toast and to lightly brown pressing down with spatula.
10. Brush the outside of Ciabatta bread bottoms with remaining melted butter. Turn chicken sandwiches bottom side down and continue toasting and pressing down with spatula.
11. Serve warm.