Red Chicken Chili
A hearty and healthy staple that’s great for everything from weeknights to tailgates. Try it with cornbread or tortilla chips.
8 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onions, 1/4” diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper, 1/4”
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper, 1/4”
1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper, 1/4”
2-28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1-15 ounce can of tomato sauce
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1-16 ounce can of chili beans, drained and rinsed
1-16 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1. Place chicken and water in a 5-quart pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduced to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes. Drain water from the pot. Cool and shred chicken into pieces.
2. In the same pot, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic, chopped bell peppers, spices and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for 20 minutes. Remove lid and simmer uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
5. Add chicken and beans. Simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips.