Chicken Reuben Sandwiches
It’s a deli classic with chicken, and in case you’re wondering, yes, it was “invented” in America!
2 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, sliced horizontally to create 4 chicken breast fillets, pounding the thick end of the fillet to 1/2-inch thick
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
4 Tablespoons ketchup
3 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon finely diced onion
8 slices Jewish rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
3/4 cup shredded sauerkraut
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Place chicken in a sealable plastic bag, add balsamic vinaigrette dressing and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. In a small bowl, prepare the Thousand Island dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice, salt, and diced onion. Set aside.
3. In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken for 8 to 9 minutes, turning chicken as it cooks. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165ºF. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet.
4. To assemble the sandwiches spread about 1 tablespoon of Thousand Island dressing on both pieces of the bread, then top with cheese, sauerkraut, chicken, cheese, and bread. Repeat to assemble four sandwiches. Spread the butter on the outside of the sandwich.
5. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Brown two sandwiches at a time, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the other two sandwiches. Serve with the extra Thousand Island dressing.
6. TIP: Looking to have leftovers but hate soggy bread? Store your ingredients separately!