Chicken and Grits
Our take on a new southern favorite combines tender chicken smothered in cream sauce served over a bed of parmesan cheese grits. It’s ideal for any occasion, from family meals to dinner parties.
1½ teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
½ cup flour
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (8-ounce) package of sliced white mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1½ teaspoons chopped garlic
2 Tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
Ingredients for Grits:
4 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup quick cook grits
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Season chicken with ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning.
2. Coat chicken with flour, shaking off excess. Reserve 3 Tablespoons of flour for sauce.
3. In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
4. Add chicken to skillet, cooking for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
5. Add reserved flour to skillet and stir.
6. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon of Creole seasoning, and parmesan cheese to skillet. Stir and bring sauce to a simmer. Add chicken back into skillet, cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Turn off heat.
8. To prepare the grits, add water and salt to a 3-quart saucepot. Bring to a boil.
9. Add grits to water and stir. Reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
10. To serve, place chicken and sauce over grits and top with green onions.