Chicken and Quinoa Salad
What a great way to introduce healthy eating to your kids. It’s a tasty, versatile dish that can be enjoyed at lunch or dinner, and stores well as a make-ahead meal.
3 Sanderson Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, sliced in half horizontally to create six chicken breast fillets
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
½ cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ cup almond slices
½ cup diced dried apricots
1 medium Gala apple, diced
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1. In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa under cold water until water runs clear.
2. In a 3-quart saucepot, add 2 cups of water and the quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes. Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, rice vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
4. Season chicken with black pepper and a ½ teaspoon salt.
5. In a 12 inch skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 3 fillets and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Repeat with remaining fillets.
6. Add almond slices, apricots, apples, parsley and a ½ teaspoon salt to the quinoa. Add orange juice mixture and mix salad. Slice chicken.
7. To serve, place salad on a plate and top with chicken.