Chicken, Eggplant, and Mozzarella Stacks
Chicken breast fillets marinated in balsamic vinegar with Italian texture and taste. Sautéed and stacked with savory cooked eggplant slices, just add marinara and fresh mozzarella for a meal that’s sure to melt in your mouth.
2 Sanderson Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, sliced in half horizontally to create four chicken breast fillets
8 eggplant sliced rounds, ½”
½ teaspoon salt, divided
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ cups marinara sauce
4 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
1. Place eggplant slices on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt over eggplant slices. Let them sit 1 hour.
2. Place chicken in a sealable plastic bag.
3. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
4. Add olive oil mixture to the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate chicken for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until chicken is to an internal temperature of 165°F. Set chicken aside.
7. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet and heat over medium high heat. Cook eggplant slices 7 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
8. Place cooked chicken breasts in a 3-quart baking pan sprayed with vegetable oil. Place 2 cooked eggplant slices over each chicken breast. Spoon marinara sauce over the eggplant. Top each chicken stack with 1 slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 20 minutes.