A Louisiana favorite, Chicken Gumbo gets its flavor from the “holy trinity” of Cajun cuisine – green onions, celery and bell peppers. Start with your gumbo mix and add chicken pieces of your choice.
2 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
4 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
water to cover chicken
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes diced in sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon gumbo file
1 cup frozen okra
1. Place chicken in an 8-quart stockpot with enough water to cover chicken (about 3 quarts). Simmer to cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F.
2. Remove chicken and cooking liquid from stockpot reserving 4 cups of the liquid.
3. Remove chicken from cooking liquid and dice into ½" pieces. Set aside.
4. Heat butter in stockpot.
5. Add onions, green bell peppers and celery. Cook 5 minutes over medium high heat.
6. Add garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
7. Mix water with corn starch in a small bowl.
8. Mix ground bay leaves, red pepper, black pepper, salt and gumbo file in another small bowl.
9. To stockpot, add the reserved 4 cups of cooking liquid, corn starch mixture, tomatoes and ground bay leaves seasoning mixture. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
10. Add chicken. Cook 5 minutes.
11. Add okra. Cook 5 minutes.