Chicken Noodle Soup
This classic American comfort food starts with a fresh, homemade stock that gives this soup great flavor!
1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken, giblets and other parts removed
4½ quarts water
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 fresh thyme sprigs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
2 onions, peeled and quartered
2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 4 pieces
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 (8-ounce) bag egg noodles
2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Place chicken, water, garlic, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, whole black peppercorns and large pieces of carrots, onions and celery in a 6-quart stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming surface foam occasionally.
2. Remove chicken from broth. Set aside.
3. Line a fine sieve with dampened cheesecloth. Strain broth through lined sieve. Remove any excess fat from top of broth with spoon. Set broth aside.
4. Pull chicken meat from bones into bite size pieces. Discard skin and bones. Set chicken pieces aside.
5. In a clean stockpot, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add diced celery and diced carrots. Cook 10 minutes.
6. Add reserved chicken broth, noodles and 2 teaspoons salt and ground pepper, or more to taste. Cook 10 minutes.
7. Add cooked chicken and parsley. Cook 5 minutes.