Fried Chicken Thighs with Tomato Gravy
Comfort food takes on a new meaning with crispy marinated chicken thighs and a savory tomato gravy in this dish. It's sure to be your family's new favorite meal.
Fried Chicken Ingredients
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper, divided
1 ¼ teaspoons Italian Seasoning
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons potato flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
6 cups vegetable oil
Tomato Gravy Ingredients
¼ cup reserved oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sliced onions
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
½ cup chicken broth
½ teaspoon black pepper
Fried Chicken Directions
1. In a large bowl mix buttermilk, eggs, black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and Italian seasoning.
2. Place chicken in the buttermilk mixture, toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, potato flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Set aside.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven to 325°F.
5. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and coat with seasoned flour mixture. Shake off any excess and transfer to a plate.
6. Fry chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Cook chicken in two batches. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
7. Reserve 1/4 cup of frying oil for the tomato gravy.
8. TIP: Have extra tomato gravy? It was made for grilled cheese dipping!
Tomato Gravy Directions
1. In a 10-inch skillet, add reserved oil and flour. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add sliced onions and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and black pepper. Cook on medium heat until gravy comes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Ladle the tomato gravy over the chicken and serve with a side of fluffy mashed potatoes.
To Prepare with an Air Fryer
5. Heat Air Fryer to 400°F.
6. Substitute 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
7. After coating the buttermilk marinated chicken with the flour/bread crumb mixture, place in the air fryer basket without overlapping and spray each chicken thigh with vegetable oil.
8. Cook for 5 minutes, flip the chicken and spray the other side with vegetable oil. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
9. Continue to cook the chicken in batches. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.