Herb Roasted Chicken
Full of flavor and fresh herbs, the recipe will please everyone at the dinner table.
1 (5 lb.) Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 ½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 (24-inch) piece of kitchen twine
2 medium onions, sliced into 1" thick discs
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a small bowl, mix butter, rosemary, parsley, thyme, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper into a paste. Set aside.
3. Remove giblets from chicken. Gently loosen skin from chicken being careful not to tear it. This can be done by using your first and second fingers or by using a teaspoon with the rounded side out.
4. Season the cavity of the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
5. Spread the compound butter under the skin on the chicken breasts and drumsticks.
6. Truss or tie the chicken drumsticks with kitchen twine. This is done by wrapping the twine over the end of the drumsticks, bringing it up, crossing and then pulling the ends of the drumsticks together with the twine and tying the twine into a knot. Tuck the chicken wings.
7. Coat a roasting pan with vegetable spray. Place onions in the pan. Season onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
8. Place chicken on top of the onions, breast side up. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
9. Roast in preheated 375°F oven for 1½ hours or until the temperature reaches 170°F at the breast and 180°F at the thigh or until the juices run clear.